Wacht-een-bietze.
The seat of government has since been transferred to Livingstone, on the Zambesi.
A kind of pheasant.
MAFEKING RELIEF FUND
Distribution Committee.
LIEUTENANT-COLONEL C.B. VYVYAN, Commandant of Mafeking.
MR. C.G. BELL, Resident Magistrate.
MR. A.H. FREND, Mayor.
June 6, 1909.
The "Rainy Day Fund," formed from the balance of the Relief Fund, still exists, and though the amount now in it is small, it is sufficient to enable the Trustees (Mayor of Mafeking and Civil Commissioner) to make occasional grants in cases of distress among those who suffered during the siege, or who have fallen on evil days since.
MAFEKING FUND, 1900.
Mr. Leonard Rayne, theatrical impresario, of South Africa, inaugurated the "Rayney Day Fund," with a view to ultimate calls for relief by members of the garrison in years to come.
IMPERIAL YEOMANRY HOSPITALS, 1900-1902.
December 29, appeal signed by Lady Georgiana Curzon and Lady Chesham sent from Blenheim Palace.
President: THE QUEEN.
Vice-Presidents: THE PRINCESS OF WALES and DUCHESS OF CONNAUGHT.
Chairman of Committee: COUNTESS HOWE.
Vice-Chairmen of Committee: COUNTESS OF WARWICK and VISCOUNTESS VALENTIA.
Hon. Secretary: EARL HOWE.
Treasurer: LUDWIG NEUMANN, ESQ.
Military Adviser: MAJOR-GENERAL LORD CHEYLESMORE.
Hon. Civilian Director and Treasurer in South Africa: J.G. HAMILTON, ESQ.
From first to last, various staffs numbered over 1,400 persons, and 20,000 patients received medical aid in the different Yeomanry Hospitals.
When the staff returned to England, medals were presented to them at Devonshire House by the Queen.
DEELFONTEIN BASE HOSPITAL: Opened March 5, 1900; closed March 31, 1901. Originally with 500 beds, subsequently increased to 1,000 beds. 6,093 in-patients, including 351 officers, were treated there.
MACKENZIE'S FARM, MAITLAND CAMP, BASE HOSPITAL: Opened August 2, 1900; closed March 31, 1901. Originally with 100 beds, subsequently increased to 150. 1,066 patients treated.
EASTWOOD, PRETORIA, BASE HOSPITAL: Opened August 18, 1900; closed September 30, 1901. Originally with 400 beds, subsequently increased to 564 beds. 5,227 in-patients, including 466 officers, and 1,095 out-patients, treated.
ELANDSFONTEIN BASE HOSPITAL: Opened June 29, 1901; closed December 19, 1901. Originally with 50 beds, subsequently increased to 138 beds. 823 in-patients, including 27 officers, and 900 out-patients, treated.
CHESHAM CONVALESCENT HOME AT JOHANNESBURG (for Officers only): Opened March 1, 1901; closed October 10, 1901. 8 beds. 79 patients received.
FIELD-HOSPITAL AND BEARER COMPANY, with 100 beds, left England in March, 1900; opened at the seat of war in South Africa on April 12, 1900; closed April 1, 1901, having remained three months longer than was originally arranged for. Subsidy of £3,000 received from Government for this purpose.
IMPERIAL YEOMANRY HOSPITALS.
The chief workers in Ireland were: The Countess of Longford, Lady Annette La Touche, and Mrs. Pirrie; but they were only on the General Committee, not on any of the subcommittees.
THE END