Subject: Version 1.01 of Kermit for HP86/87 Available
From: [email-masked]
Date: 29-APR-1987 15:36:36

On its way to you is version 1.01 of Kermit for the HP86/87, by Martin
Rootes of Sheffield City Polytechnic, UK. This release cures some flow control
problems in version 1.00 .

The files for this release are:

HP8KER  BOO     Complete program - plus file header for boot programs.
HP8KER  BAS     Complete program - no comments, includes null lines.
HP8KRC  BAS     Complete program - with comments.

which should replace the existing ones. All other files are unchanged.
This is to announce Version 1.00 of HP86 Kermit.  HP86 Kermit provides
terminal emulation and Kermit protocol file transfer for the following
systems:

  Hewlett-Packard HP86.
  Hewlett-Packard HP87 - NOT TESTED.

The program has been tested at Sheffield City Polytechnic on the HP86,
with a  HP 82939A  serial interface.  Since the  program is written in
HP86/87 BASIC it is  expected that it will  work on the HP87,  however
this has yet to be confirmed.

The  program  was  written  in  HP86/87  BASIC and requires the binary
program UTIL/1  to supply  utilities for  enhanced screen  control, it
also relies on the I/O ROM for control of the serial interface. As the
program is written  in BASIC various  problems arise, the  major three
are:-

  1. It is noticeably slower than many other Kermit implementations.

  2. The baud rate is limited to 300, this was the fastest rate that
     could be handled by the terminal emulation section.

  3. The program is limited to sending files of type DATA, and numeric
     variables cannot be sent without conversion.

It  is  hoped  that  in  the  future some enterprising individual will
convert this program into assembler, this would undoubtedly  alleviate
problems 1 & 2 and hopefully 3.

The files are :-

HP8AAA.HLP -- List of all the HP8*.* files, with brief explanations.
HP8KER.DOC -- Kermit User Guide for v1.00.
HP8INS.DOC -- Kermit installation guide.
HP8BOO.FOR -- Downloading program.
HP8KER.BOO -- Kermit program in BASIC for downloading (see documentation).
HP8KRC.BAS -- Commented Kermit program (Reference only).

Author:- Martin Rootes,
         Computer Services Department,
         Sheffield City Polytechnic,
         Pond Street,
         Sheffield,
         S1 1WB
         United Kingdom.

         Tel:- (U.K.) 0742 20911 ext 2342

.